Federal Ministry of Water Resources
Old Secretariat Garki,
Area 1, Abuja
E-Mail: [email protected]
Hon. Suleiman Adamu
Honourable Minister of Water Resources
Born in Kazaure Local Government Area of Jigawa State in April 1963. He obtained a Bachelors degree in Engineering in 1984 from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. He also attended the University of Reading, United Kingdom where he obtained a Master Degree in Project Management in 2004.
Adamu is a fellow of Nigerian Society of Engineers (FNSE) and member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (MASCE).
Engineer Adamu is currently the Managing Director of Integrated Engineering a$$ociates (IEA), a leading firm of civil/ structural, electrical, mechanical, and environmental engineering consultancy based in Kaduna, Nigeria.
He served as a member of Presidential Campaign Council and Election Monitoring Committee, Buhari-Osinbajo Campaign Organisation 2015.
The Nigerian Ministry of Water Resources is created to provide sustainable access to safe and sufficient water to meet the cultural and socio-economic needs of all Nigerians in a way that will enhance public health, food security and poverty reduction, while maintaining the integrity of fresh water ecosystem of the nation. Other mandate of the Ministry includes the following:
• Formulation and implementation of Water Resources Policy Programme;
• Development and support for irrigated agriculture for food security;
• Collection, storage, analysis and dissemination of hydro-meteorological and hydrological data;
• Monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes for effective performance;
• Supply of adequate and potable water for domestic and industrial uses;
• Provision of adequate sanitation and maintenance of water quality
• Exploration and development of undergrounded water resources;
• Formulation and review, from time to time, of National water legislation;
• Liaison with all relevant national and international agencies on all matters relating to water resources development; and support of studies and research on the nation’s underground and surface water resources potentials.
To provide sustainable access to safe and sufficient water to meet the Socio-Economic needs of all Nigerians through efficient water resources management for basic human needs, irrigated agriculture, hydropower generation for National food security, promote healthy population, while maintaining the integrity of fresh water bodies.
Our vision is to be the vehicle of the Nation’s water resources management for optimal socio-economic activities through comprehensive planning for integrated conservation, development and management of various water uses. To preserve the quantity and quality of fresh water for improved ecosystem and environmental protection as well as facilitate adequate access to safe water and sanitation nationwide. We lay emphasis on the development of irrigated agriculture for food security and sustainable livelihoods and above all, to ensure equitable allocation of all the aforementioned amongst all riparian communities locally and internationally.
Federal Agricultural Co-Ordinating Unit (FACU) Sheda
Nigerian Agricultural Insurance Corporation (NAIC)
National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA)
National Park Services (NPS)
Strategic Grains Reserve (SGR)