Honourable Minister of Environment
Honourable Minister of State for Environment
The Federal Ministry of Environment was established at the inception of the Civilian Administration under the leadership of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in June 1999 to ensure effective coordination of all environmental matters, which hitherto were fragmented and resident in different line Ministries. The creation was intended to ensure that environmental matters are adequately mainstreamed into all developmental activities.
In line with the above and in consonance with the administration’s policy thrust of Environmental Renewal and Development Initiative (ERDI), the Ministry has the following mandate to:
* Prepare a comprehensive National Policy for the protection of the environment and conservation of natural resources, including procedure for environmental impact assessment of all developing projects.
* Prepare in accordance with the National Policy on Environment, periodic master plans for redevelopment of environmental science and technology and advise the Federal Government on the financial requirements for the implementation of such plans.
* Advise the Federal Government on National Environmental Policies and priorities, the conservation of natural resources and sustainable development and scientific and technological activities affecting the environment and natural resources.
* Promote cooperation in environmental science and conservation technology with similar bodies in other countries and with international bodies connected with the protection of the environment and the conservation of natural resources.
* Cooperate with Federal and State Ministries, Local Government, statutory bodies and research agencies on matters and facilities relating to the protection of the environment and the conservation of natural resources.
* Prescribe standards for and make regulations on water quality, effluent limitations, air quality, atmospheric protection, ozone protection, noise control as well as the removal and control of hazardous substances, and
* Monitor and enforce environmental protection measures.
To ensure a Nigeria that develops in harmony with the environment.
To ensure environmental protection and natural resources conservation for a sustainable development.
Parastatals under the Federal Ministry of Environment
1. Environmental Health Officers Registration Council (EHORECON)
2. National Park Services (NPS)
3. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)
4. National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA)
5. National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA)